Thursday, July 21, 2011

On my soap box


I generally use this blog to announce new creations and upcoming Bear or doll shows. Today I am going to sound off about something that I feel very strongly about. I recently spotted a photo of my 20 yr old niece with a cigarette in her hand. She lives in a different state so I haven't seen her in awhile. It really, really upsets me when I see young people smoking. I am from the generation that didn't know all the dangers of smoking when we were in our teens and twenties. I have never smoked but have family members that have and still do. My big sister, Linda, started smoking in her teens. My parents tried to discourage her but nothing worked. Twenty one years ago next week she died of lung cancer. She was 42. My niece I spotted smoking(my little sister's girl) was born the next year. She never got to meet her Aunt Linda. Linda never got to see her daughter's get married or meet her grandchildren. I still miss her.
Please, if you don't smoke, don't start. If you smoke, find some way to quit. Nothing good comes from cigarettes.
In the photo left to right: Linda, my brother Bill, drum fish, and the little girl is me.

No comments: