Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Being frugal


I remember a time when I would decide I needed something and just run out and purchase it. These days I think at least twice before trying to buy it. I have worn a wristwatch since I was a little girl. I don't need a fancy one but, these days, one with big enough numbers that I can read the time without my glasses. Last week my watchband wore out. It was a cheap one that came with the watch. Since I just purchased a two pack of batteries for my watch I didn't want to buy another inexpensive watch. Well the watchbands at Walmart were more than twice as much as the cost of my watch! Not much of a selection either.
My best ideas always seem to come at night just before I fall to sleep. So, night before last, it came to me....why don't I just make myself a watchband. In my stash of ultrasuede there is a nice big piece of black I had purchased as a remnent. A nice 1 1/2 inch wide strip was all I needed. Fold the long edges in, stitch along each folded edge, and sew on 2 snaps. I love it! It actually looks better than any I could have purchased.
I suppose I'm not the only one trying to make do, or make new, with what we already have. Maybe something good has come of hard economic times.

2 comments:

Joanne@ Desertmountainbear said...

I love it too!! Better than the ones you can buy for sure.

Cheryl @ Bingle Bears said...

Well done, Nancy!! It looks quite perfect!

Warmly,
Cheryl