Sunday, January 27, 2013

Off in the wrong direction

Yes, I know I am supposed to be making critters for upcoming shows. It is not the time to work on a prototype of a new pattern. But the idea for the new creation was banging around in my head and it refused to go away til I did something about it, So, last night was spent drawing out the pattern. Today it was cut out from a scrap up upholstery material. Now to sew it together, maybe tweak it a bit....then see if I can get back to what I should be doing.

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Valentine Special and Nancy's Notions

Baby seat cover finished and on it's way. Soon I will get back to bear making....several shows coming up. Valerie and Tino have been listed on Bear Pile for a special price.
Today was spent photographing and listing yard sale finds in my Nancy's Notions etsy shop. Some vintage crochet books(I wish I had learned to crochet) and some vintage brass drawer handles.
I also spent some time researching this garage sale find. The marking on the bottom reads Rosenthal Group Germany Classic Rose. But the flowers are hand painted and signed so it wasn't a reproduced pattern. How does that effect the value. It is in very good shape with only some of the gold edging worn off. Back to researching....

Sunday, January 13, 2013

For Baby

Been working on this all week. It took a couple of weeks to get everything together. Even after starting this project I had to go back for more supplies. My niece's baby girl, Annabelle, is due the first week of Feb. Rather than the Winnie the Pooh cover on the infant car seat, my niece has decided she wants pink John Deere. After pricing a custom made cover on etsy, she messaged me, asking if I could make one. She took the cover and canopy off the car seat and sent them to me.  I knew right away it wasn't going to be as easy as I thought.  I used wrapping paper and the Winnie seat cover to make a pattern.
The John Deere cover needs to go over the Winnie cover because it has the proper padding. The John Deere material is a one way design so all the tractors have to go in the right direction.
My niece saw this bumpy soft velour in blue used for a seat cover on etsy. I found it in brown at Hobby Lobby.
All the slots cut in for the belts. The edges finished with bias tape. I am thinking I will add some velcro the both the Winnie seat and the new cover so it stays where it's supposed to.
Now to finish the canopy. Then back to sewing bears! 


Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Monkey Business

He is finally done, my first mohair monkey. I have been working on him on and off for at least 3 months. His face was the problem. It just wouldn't take the direction it was supposed to. He even got a second head. Don't know why this mohair(which I love). For some reason it said monkey. 
Presenting Kazoo! He is 7 1/2 inches tall sitting. His arms, legs, and tail are wired. The leather collar has copper colored star shaped brads. Not sure if he will be my last monkey or not.